Common Scheduled Task Questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Common Scheduled Task Questions

These are a few common questions that often arise when pushing out and running tasks on remote machines.

I Think my Task is Hanging - If a task has been running longer than expected, it could be that it is waiting on user input. The application or patch that is associated with the task will run with the same account that the task is run as. If that account does not have an interactive logon session, then the application or patch will not have an interactive logon session. If the application or patch is waiting for user input and the account is non-interactive, then the task will appear to still be running. Some applications and patches can detect whether or not the logon session is interactive and will exit with an error if it detects that the session type is incorrect.

My Task Returned an AppCode: X in the Last Result field - Application return codes are specific to the application that the task is running. the task moniter stores the last exit code, which is the code the application returns when it exits. When trying to decipher what the return code means for a specific application or patch, the documentation for that application or patch usually contains some relevant information. The extent to which applicaiton return codes are docuemented varies from application to application and some applications and patches don't offer any explanation describing return codes. Usually an App Code: 0 is success wheras any other return code means failure, but all return codes are application specific.

My Task Failed to Run - Make sure that the account that the task is running under has sufficient privileges to run the application or program. Sometimes when tasks are added to systems across domain boundries, different accounts must be used to ensure that the task has administrative access

My Task is Failing and I Don't Know Why - Some applications and patches require special command line options in order for them to run in different contexts. This is what most often causes patches and updates to fail to run on remote machines. In the case of pathces and updates, each patch has a list of command line options that must be supplied in order to run successfully in different situations. The various flags differ from patch to patch, but some common flags to look for are:
    • Unattended Mode - Use this to specify a non-interactive logon.
    • Silent Mode - Use this to hide any display messages that are displayed by the app or patch.
    • Non-Interactive Mode - Use this to specify a non-interactive logon.
    • Force Restart - Force the system to restart after running the patch.
    • Do Not Restart - Do not restart the system after installing the patch.
    The specific flags that you will need to use depend on which account you are using to run the task and what the requirements of the patch are. For syntax for specific flags, check the documentation for the specific patch that you are installing.
    Support
    support@liebsoft.com

1875 Century Park East, Suite 1200
    Los Angeles, CA 90067
    http://www.liebsoft.com
    Main: (800) 829-6263
    International: +1 (310) 550-8575
    Fax: (310) 550-1152
Working...
X